Second Solo Experimental Gig

Details of where you can see steel players live

Re: Second Solo Experimental Gig

Postby Gary James Peters » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:36 am

C

You'll be pleased to hear they confiscated my spurs at security on the way out...so that'll be the end pf my country career.

Yes, a duo gig...somewhere near Skipton?

G
Williams 700 Series U12 7 x 5 Keyless.
Gary James Peters
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Haddock » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:55 pm

Tomorrow night if anyone is at a loose end. As far as I can tell, there seems to be no one else trying this approach to pedal steel and I am thinking there may be a good reason for that! I’m having a ball though!
Cheers
Calum

74974B30-20FC-40B9-8169-A5B2DD06B05D.jpeg
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Gary James Peters » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:18 pm

Now that's a nice photo. And I like the concatenation of slowness and gladness; there's hope for us oldies (me) yet!

Have a good one C!!

G
Williams 700 Series U12 7 x 5 Keyless.
Gary James Peters
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Danny Mitchell » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:28 am

Great job, Calum.
A massive evolving soundscape, that all sprang from Calum's extended 12 string MSA, layered on a looper and filtered through a mind boggling array of effects. I reckon plate spinning would be a dawdle for you. Mesmeric and lush.
The 3 old steelers sitting at the front got a great view of all the pedal and lever manoeuvres going on under the counter, due to the lighting, courtesy of the Telonics pedal. Thank goodness you eschewed the kilt.

I really believe that your performance is tailor made for a contemporary ballet featuring live music/live dance.

Very glad I managed to catch it.
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Haddock » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:02 am

Thanks Danny and to all three of you for coming. I knew so many people there it was hard to talk to everyone but I had a lot of fun and glad you enjoyed it. A badger seems to have used my mouth as a toilet overnight but perhaps that’s the Laphroiag….
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Willie Gamble » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:01 pm

I went to Calum's solo gig last night in the Glad Cafe in Glasgow in the company of Donny Johnston and Danny Mitchell, I have to say that, whilst it was not the usual steel guitar the we are used to it was a very pleasant experience.
Calum's rig was like something out of a James Bond movie, but boy did he know what he was doing.
Good on ya Haddock
Asleep at the steel
Willie Gamble
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Danny Mitchell » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:41 pm

Here's a couple of snaps to confirm Willie's description of Calum's Rig. If I had to sit in front that setup I wouldn't need a stool, I'd be producing my own :shock:
https://app.box.com/s/dexsp7u8bghajdn9hn57sld4osxc3r2b
https://app.box.com/s/zh5yk8qw29wchsialqxzsub07vrwv8vy
GFI Ultra keyless S10 4+5 Emmon's setup + Sigler, Li'l Izzy, Hilton volume pedal, Roland Cube 80gx, Joyo American Sound Pre-amp, Behringer VD400 Delay Pedal, Peterson Strobo Plus HD and a brace of bars, Ben's, Ezzee-Slide, Pearse, BJS, SIT nickel strings.
Danny Mitchell
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Donny Johnston » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:26 pm

I concur with all the above comments. Well done Calum. Donny.
Blanton D10, Justice s10, Fender Acoustasonic 150, 1 Brain, 2 Hands, 2 Knees, & 2 Feet.
Donny Johnston
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Haddock » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:35 pm

Thanks for the nice comments guys and thanks again for making the effort. It meant a lot that you were there and I even felt quite relaxed about having such pedal steel royalty in the front row. I suppose I’m unlikely to bring that rig to Gartcosh as by the time I’d set up, it would be time to go home again!
Cheers
Calum
Haddock
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Previous

Return to Who is Playing Where