First timer - Together Again

An Area where you put pictures and Videos of your pride and joy also anything about the steel guitar

First timer - Together Again

Postby henrybainbridge » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I bought this ZB D-10 (my first steel) in June last year from Tony Davis and have had a heck of a year beating it into submission. I first heard the steel guitar on my dad's Gram Parsons records when I was in my mid-teens and became besotted with the sound of those songs. It's taken a decade or so but I've finally got my hands on my own steel and I've dived in as deep as I can with it.

A regular in a pub I used to work in gave me some great simple advice a while back when he said, "You've got to practice when you don't want to, anyone can practice when they want to!"
I really took that maxim to task on the steel and hopefully it's beginning to pay off.

David Hartley introduced me to this tune in a lesson we had earlier this year and many of you will probably recognise his excellent backing track.
Apologies for the cut at the beginning and end, my phone was interfering with the mics (novice error, I know!). Also, I'll sort the angle next time so that you can see hands and feet clearer - was balancing my laptop on the sofa for this one. More vids to follow hopefully.

All feedback welcomed here or via PM.
henrybainbridge

Re: First timer - Together Again

Postby Will C » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 am

Nice work for such a short time on the steel, Henry. They say it's the hardest instrument to learn. The steel mimics the dynamics of the human voice in many ways. Try to listen to as many performers of the original song as you can - it will help you to figure out how to deliver the phrasing/timing of the notes. Welcome to the madhouse! :lol:

Will C
Ramsey, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
Mullen Pre-RP U12
Williams keyless U14
12 strings, 10 thumbs, 2 left feet
Will C
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby henrybainbridge » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks Will, that's good advice. It's certainly a pretty loose interpretation of the original. I don't often think to prioritise listening to the originals as much as I should! It's easy to steadily move away from them if I noodle over them whenever I sit down with them.
henrybainbridge

Postby Nick Bidmade » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 pm

South London rockin' 'n' rollin'! Good one Henry. The Morden E9 posse salutes you!!
Nick Bidmade
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henrybainbridge » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks Nick, feels good to know that the Morden E9 posse have got my back. I've been getting into an awful lot of beef with the Carshalton lap steel mafia.
Perhaps it's time to revive the idea of a London/South London steelie meeting? Could even be something as simple as a Sunday afternoon in the infamous Unit 9 rehearsal studios in Balham, or I'm sure we could find a friendly pub who would let us use their function room once in a while...

I'm sure we'd all love the opportunity to play amongst friends, hear each other play, check out each other's steels and make some new acquaintances.
henrybainbridge

Postby henry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm

The White Lion in Streatham have a room that would suit this. Count me in if you do..!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8 ... LwBEPwSMA4

less smelly than unit 9 and easier to get to if you're going by public transport!
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:47 pm

..sounds great by the way
Marlen S10, Williams U12
Henry Senior - Pedal Steel Guitar
henry
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby Nick Bidmade » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Count me in - I'd definitely come/pay for room hire etc. Hope there's parking somewhere close by, wherever is chosen. I don't know any of the venues suggested so can't comment. I don't know how Brixton Henry manages on public transport - I am amazed at how much kit we have to lug about - should have been a trumpet player!
I'll keep an eye out for further developments - maybe this needs its own thread?
Nick Bidmade
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Postby henrybainbridge » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:37 pm

Created a new thread for the South London meet-up chat:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4777
henrybainbridge

Postby Tony Russell Davis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi Henry - the video shows a lot of effort that has gone in since you took that guitar home! I like the sound you're getting too :mrgreen: . There might be a bit of difference in the melody between your version and Buck Owens' but, as you said, you didn't hear the original :oops: . But your's is very good work anyway; clean, in tune, not over vibrato-ed, good tone production and controlled playing. A real credit to you.
You have also reminded me to change my avatar - I really shouldn't be up there playing YOUR guitar :lol:
All best, Tony.
Fender SM T-8: Shakey 10-plank: Ricky 6: Harmony H7 R Smeck,: plus "home-mades"
Fender D-10: Sierra D-11:
Resos- Goldtone 8 string & Regal 7
FenderTwin: Peavey Delta Blues: Marshall AS50R: DigiTech>GK MB200->Telonics 15"
Tony Russell Davis
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to The Steel Guitar Including Photos and Videos