An Area where you put pictures and Videos of your pride and joy also anything about the steel guitar
Post a reply

Waddaya reckon about this "Black Rock" anything unusual?

Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 pm

the phrase silk purse from a sows ear comes to mind.spot the diff..............
Attachments
20240430_215601.jpg

Re: Waddaya reckon about this "Black Rock" anything unusual?

Wed May 01, 2024 9:55 am

ok then i will tell ya.... The Black Rock came ( I think) with one knee lever, non adjustable legs, and A wooden pedalboard they skimped on those things and made very slopy unstable guitar but not on the mech that was same as pro range but no neck just fretboard.
So, what you see here is one I have added 3 more levers a quick release Ally pedal board and a new set of fully adjustable ally chrome legs that IMHO Make as good as any Emmons out there..... plus the lightest S10 in the world.
If you want this one pics of the queen bring a wedge thick enough to choke a horse!

Wed May 01, 2024 10:50 pm

John, the guitar shown in the picture is Not a Black Rock, it is an Emmons Studen model, the one shown, in it's original state was the double of my first guitar, one knee lever, a wooden pedal board, plastic kluson tuners and no neck.
I traded that in for a Black Rock, which I still own, the difference being quarter inch neck all metal kluson tuners and two levers they were the entry level into the Emmons Pro range.
I played that guitar for thirty odd years, great wee guitars, during covid Dr Bob fitted two additional levers and set the copedant to the same as my Mullen.

Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 am

Willie it is still the same guitar, I don't think the upgrade of the neck and tuners improved its performance as much as would have giving it a decent set of legs and a proper ally pedal board. Melvin Duffy had one when he started and used to help him play it, I don't recall if it had the up grade but it was called a Black Rock. The main thing I thought was having the same mech as pro models that to me was what made it special either way a Rose by any other name would smell as sweet, :) tis a great little guitar and even with my upgrade weigh's next to nothing compared to my pro guitars.

Fri May 03, 2024 12:44 pm

Willie Gamble wrote:John, the guitar shown in the picture is Not a Black Rock, it is an Emmons Studen model, the one shown, in it's original state was the double of my first guitar, one knee lever, a wooden pedal board, plastic kluson tuners and no neck.
I traded that in for a Black Rock, which I still own, the difference being quarter inch neck all metal kluson tuners and two levers they were the entry level into the Emmons Pro range.
I played that guitar for thirty odd years, great wee guitars, during covid Dr Bob fitted two additional levers and set the copedant to the same as my Mullen.

Hi Willie
Just for clarification, the guitar immediately below IS an Emmons Black Rock. I sold several Black Rocks for Eric Snowball as an appointed agent for him back in the day, plus I sold several Emmons Student models. Both models came in different colours, although the only Black Rocks that I saw that Eric imported in to ESE were finished in black mica, plus they had polished aluminium endplates and adjustable chrome plated legs. They are two different guitars - no matter how much a Student model is tarted up, it is not a Black Rock and never will be. You can put lipstick on a pig etc, etc.....

Last edited by Ken Byng on Fri May 03, 2024 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri May 03, 2024 1:00 pm

Here is a genuine Emmons Student model.

Fri May 03, 2024 9:33 pm

Thank you both Willie and Ken for the correction.I don't think any of the improvements mentioned would have made it sound better as the mech was the same, I will make a start to polish the endplates on my pig.

Sat May 04, 2024 9:35 am

Eric was a 100% ZB man in the early 70's, but even he had to admit that the Black Rock was an incredible sounding guitar. I don't know if it had a rock maple body or not. If it did, then it would explain why it sounded so spectacularly good. The changer mechanism on both the Black Rock and the Student both owe their allegiance to the full blown push pull, and indeed there are a number of players in the USA who are searching for a good lightweight s/h Black Rock as it is seen as a gateway into the legendary push pull sound. I think the Emmons Student is one the best student models ever, along with the ZB and the Zum equivalents. Infinitely better than the Sho~Bud Maverick.

Mon May 06, 2024 6:33 pm

Been asked for pics so here tis, bet it does not even go 20kg in its box....
Attachments
20240506_191034.jpg
20240506_190827.jpg
20240506_190817.jpg
20240506_190759.jpg
20240506_190712.jpg

Mon May 06, 2024 6:37 pm

more

Attachments
20240506_191053.jpg
20240506_191107.jpg
20240506_191207.jpg
20240506_191215.jpg
Post a reply