An Area where you put pictures and Videos of your pride and joy also anything about the steel guitar
Post a reply

String length from nut to bridge 25 inches

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:41 pm

Hello Folks. I haven’t been back to you all, since me joining again. Back in November 21. This because of firstly hit with massive blood clots resulting from Covid back in February 22, and then a long long covid recovery, and two failed cardiac procedures following a previous heart attack.

But the biggest reason is the passing of the love of my life back in March 22. My lovely Anne and I had been together for 48 years. So the shock of it all, has kept me away. I don’t say any of this for sympathy at all. It's just so you know and understand. And I am now ‘gradually’ moving forward. Though house selling comes next…. Thank you for your time. Looking forward to getting better with the steel.

The good news is my heart has created a new artery to bypass the completely blocked circumflex one. How about that then! And that playing the steel has been good therapy, along with lots of speedy walking – 3 to 4 miles a day, self-healing meditation, tai chi and chi kung.

I have lots of questions, some of them quite lengthy. Apologies for that. I have broken them down, as best I could, and will put them out one at a time, so as not to over burden you all. With a couple of the questions being so interrelated, I have probably failed in that respect, so I apologise in advance.

FIRST QUESTION -

String length from nut to bridge 25 inches

The fret boards I purchased 48 years ago were 25” scale for my home built pedal steel. What I learnt since is that pedal steels are normally 24” or 24 ¼”. This means I have to reduce string gauges, by one size. Yet, still the third string breaks way too often, and the volume is much less than all the others – painfully so – I am using Rotosound standard strings, all of which apart from 3 and 4 are 45 years old! (that’s because I didn’t play for 44 years until the end of last year).

The local music shop gave me a 9 gauge Rotosound stainless steel to try as the 3rd string, he didn’t have a 10. This has boosted the volume to just short of the other strings, but of course when I replace the others they will be louder, for a time.

I haven’t tried a 10 gauge S/S on the third yet, as will have to order that, and wonder if stainless will be stronger than the standard nickel strings, and therefore not break so readily. Anyone have an opinion please?

Stainless are for sure brighter and last longer, but going by the stainless 3rd string, the tone is also thinner. So I am not sure that I wish to go all stainless. I edge towards a fuller/fatter sound, not liking the ‘jangle’ of too much treble, so often heard these days Too much ‘clang’ beyond twang.

I have predominitaly used Rotosound, though previously used ZB. But what about Newtone, in trying to stick with British? I see Scott Poley uses Newtone. Has anyone done a comparison please?

A guitarist (not a steelie) friend says the magnet for the 3rd string might be weak, and needs regaussing. But, it has always been the same problem, and it seems a perennial 3rd string problem from all I read.

Many thanks Melvyn - Sorry multiquestions

Re: String length from nut to bridge 25 inches

Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:26 am

Hi Melvyn,so sorry for your recent loss, there are several of us here in a similar situation, my lovely girl has been gone over two years now and none of us get over it, we just learn to live with it.
Steel & Strings, I buy mine from the S.I.T. Company in Akron Ohio, I always buy more than I need it makes sure there is a fresh set available anytime I want to change them and quite a few players on here get there strings from me.
I only have the sets endorsed by Buddy Emmons as I figure he got most things right i dont have stainless and I don't know of many players that do use them now. PM me if I can help with strings.

Re: String length from nut to bridge 25 inches

Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:26 am

Hi John,
Many thanks for your kind words. Yep, dealing with it takes time, and with long covid......

Re the strings, unfortunately standard sets of strings, don't cut it, as said 25" scale means i have to go thinner gauge, or even more breakages. and then finding the best way to boost the 3rd string response. Hence experimenting with a stainless string just for the 3rd. Maybe i didn't explain sufficiently well. I am planning to also contact Rotosound for their opinion on the strength of SS, compared to Nickel.

But, I do appreciate your input. Hoping others may have some knowledge and opinions that will help.

Agree wholeheartedly re Emmons.
Post a reply