No. Speakers

Steel guitar tuition and instruction material

Re: No. Speakers

Postby Tony Russell Davis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I reckon there's no right or wrong with amp/speaker combos, just what pleases your ear. I use a Twin Reverb with my Fender D10 and a Peavey Vegas with the Mullen. So there's a case of valves versus trannies to start with, and 2x12 v single 15in BW for complication. They both do a good job but sound entirely different.
The transistor amps sound more clinical - good for a modern sound. The valves have a timbre that might be described as "warmer". I heard it has to do with transistors emphasising the odd and valves the even harmonics in the signal :?: but I can't remember where that came from. Incidentally, to me the Fender guitar never sounded satisfactory through anything except the Fender amp. Product stable-mating? :o The modern Mullen works fine with either of the above.
Several keyboard transistor amps seemed to do it; but it seems to have more to do with the flat EQ characteristics than the size or number of speakers. Standard guitar amps tend to cater for too much overdrive for the totally clean sound preferred for pedal steel. But I like them for lap, where a weeny bit of dirt seems to add something :twisted: .
The Cubes that many guys are using sound very good indeed and will be fine if the power is enough for the venue. John used one at the recent steel-fest up here and was very impressive :mrgreen: . I don't know if an AC30 would get volume with a clean sound (haven't used one since the 60's) but never felt enough headroom for psg out of less than around 100watts in bigger rooms like the Northern workies club circuit. My back is now paying for it though :cry:
Dave -I use a volume pedal with lap steel, it's a Morley (optical) for no other reason than I happened to have one. It's fine for lap because the travel is quite short, so the guitar doesn't move so much as it might with longer footplate travel; but I prefer a typical "steel-type", longer travel, VP with pedal or consul guitars.
Well, that's the blue touch paper lit - now to retire immediately. Regards, Tone.
Fender SM T-8: Shakey 10-plank: Ricky 6: Harmony H7 R Smeck,: plus "home-mades"
Fender D-10: Sierra D-11:
Resos- Goldtone 8 string & Regal 7
FenderTwin: Peavey Delta Blues: Marshall AS50R: DigiTech>GK MB200->Telonics 15"
Tony Russell Davis
Seasoned Member
Seasoned Member

Previous

Return to Steel Guitar Tuition