Switch to full style
Steel guitar tuition and instruction material
Post a reply

scratchy pot

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:36 pm

My volume pedal is scratchy.
I've just changed the pot, but two weeks later it's scratchy again :o

Someone told me it might be related to the impedance of my pickup and not the volume pedal.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do?

Re: scratchy pot

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Just spray the track with a little 3-IN-ONE professional High Performance Lubricant, the one with PTFE Formula, under NO circumstances use switch cleaner as it dries out the track and makes it worse..Also do not use WD-40 as it leaves a sticky residue.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Well, You got the answer in less than an hour..
Some of us actually have enabled the notification preferences..It's MOST useful when you make a post like this..

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=196&start=0

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:49 pm

thanks Basil,

is this the stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-in-one-professi ... 255e05270d

maybe I could have saved my last pot?! :|

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:54 pm

Absobloominlutely, that's it..
Nine time out of ten the scratchiness is just dust on the track or a little surface wear causing problems. I've found this to work 99.9% of the time if this doesn't stop the scratchiness, then the pot is banjaxed and should be confined to the nearest suitable disposal orifice. :twisted: :twisted:

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:42 pm

cheers Basil, I will assess local orifices for suitability!

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Basil - sorry for all the newb questions, but do I need to prise the case off the pot to do this?

Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:35 pm

anyone know the answer to this? i dont want to pull apart the £25 pot i just got from Gerry Hogan for no reason, but I cant see how else you'd do it!

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi, I would like to know the answer to this too as I am experiencing similar problems. I would like to try a spray before getting into changing a pot but I don't want to pull a pot apart either.

Thanks guys

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Bend back the lugs on backplate,and the back plate will come of. Or open it slightly,just enough so you can squirt into it. Regards Graham.
Post a reply