Steel guitar tuition and instruction material
Post a reply

Re: alternate picking

Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Ok, let's call the digits T, 1 and 2.

I understand alternate picking to mean in the context of steel playing to pick T, 1, T, 2, T, 1, T, 2, etc. (For single note runs).

I do not understand why a steel guitar teacher would recommend a student to pick T, 1, T, 1 or T, 2, T, 2 exclusively. I'm always amused by the arguments that rage on the US Forum over whether one should pick single note runs using T & 1 or T & 2. It's like a religious dogma. Each camp has its favourite (favorite even!) guru.

Have you studied classical guitar? That's certainly not the way they teach right hand technique. There are very good reasons why and they're mostly to do with attaining total control over your right hand and the sound it produces. The best technique is not always that which feels most comfortable. Sometimes you need to train yourself to acquire what is ultimately the soundest technique. It can take a little time and effort but it's worth it.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:40 am

The best technique is not always that which feels most comfortable. Sometimes you need to train yourself to acquire what is ultimately the soundest technique. It can take a little time and effort but it's worth it.

Indeed, never has a truer statement been made..This also could apply to ROUND bars, finger picks and all the other NORMAL tools used by the majority of the top echelon.. :roll:
No such thing as a free lunch, no such thing as an easy way out..IMHO

Time, Effort and Diligence will reap rewards tenfold.

As for alternate picking, it depends on which strings are being picked and in what order. simple ergonomics should determine the optimum.

See this, taken from classical guitar training... (I must say Paul that I prefer YOUR terminology and designators for the right hand digits..) P= Thumb ? Pulgar is Spanish for thumb, but I would have thought that universally it would be "Thumb"..
Anyway, the Classical guitar tuition continues:-

Each of the fingers are identified in Classical Guitar literature by the following letter designations:

"p" = Thumb or Pulgar

"i" = Index or Indice

"m" = Middle or medio

"a" = Ring or anular.

There are three joints on each finger. The motion of each finger is limited to either a flexation or extension at any of those three joints. When your hand is in a relaxed position, each of the joints are at a point about midway between the limits of their possible extension and flexation. The joint at the tip of the finger should be kept firm, but not tense. It can move slightly during a stroke because of the pressure against the finger from the string, but we will not try to control this joint at this stage of playing the guitar. The middle joint is the main source of finger motion. Preparation for a stroke requires that you extend the finger at the middle joint, while keeping the large joint at about the middle point of the limits of its range of motion. As your finger tip touches the string, the motion of the finger continues from the middle joint until it is near its limit of flexation. At that point the motion continues with a follow though of the stroke by flexing the finger at the large, or third knuckle. The range of movement that occurs during playing will become smaller as your technique improves, but the fundamental motion of the fingers will not change. We will talk later about the mechanics of an actual stroke and refer back to this description of finger motion at that time.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:08 pm

thanks both of you, very informative posts. i didn't realise i was straying into religious dogma territory!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 am

I hope I can attach a Word 2003 file about single picking.
It is not allowed ...
I 'll try an image ...
If not I need help from someone...
Thank you
Thijs Kappen
The netherlands
practice-rolls.JPG
exercise is what we need ...

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:10 am

Thijs Kappen wrote:I hope I can attach a Word 2003 file about single picking.
It is not allowed ...
I 'll try an image ...

While uploading documents is not allowed (mainly for security reasons), zip archives are allowed. If you compress the document into zip format and upload that, it'll be OK.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I think the close-ups in this are somewhat of a help regarding picking angle, and the bend required on picks for their optimisation for pick-blocking..
Not so much alternate picking but nonetheless relatively relevant.
:? :?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Fantastic Basil...
Post a reply