Steel guitar tuition and instruction material
Post a reply

Eb > D lower

Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:45 pm

Hi all, I hope I'm in the right section. I've searched already on 2nd string lower, D#/Eb to D, etc, but so far I've drawn a blank. Same goes for youtube, etc.

It's a newbie question, but can any of you good people give me a practical example of how to use my 2nd string Eb>D knee lever (aside from an E7 chord)? I honestly have no idea what to do with the thing.

I've seen one or two YouTube vids with Eb>C# lowers, but that's yer lot. I'm not even sure my pull-release Fender is capable of that level of bendiness. It's a 70s Fender so options are limited, but I'd also welcome any suggestions as to alternative uses for the lever (I've left an open goal there sho'nuff).

Any help very gratefully received,
Yours fullyfaith,
A. Duffer Esq. :)

Re: Eb > D lower

Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 pm

Hi Nico

Used to good effect by Lloyd Green an example in this tab http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/tempimages/Tab%20Variations%20of%20a%20Theme%20-%20Part%201.pdf
I can send you an audio file of Lloyd playing it if you like :?: (PM me your email) or the first part from a you tuber https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VQfq-rU6Vw4

Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:48 am

Hi Pete,
That's ace, thanks! The tab's really helpful. If I've read the "tadpoles on the telegraph lines" right, this one's in Fmaj.

The D#>D lower doesn't really come into play in the natural 1 position, in this case the 1st / 13th fret. It's more used with the in the IV and V positions (6 & 8 frets), or the II Maj and III Maj chords (Beatles - 8 Days a Week, Total eclipse of the Heart) played at the 3rd / 5th with the AB or BC pedals. It's also more of to add flavour to chords than for playing licks.

On a side note, is it worth trying to make my guitar drop from Eb to C#? I'd need to learn to stop half-way for the D. That said, it'd be great for coordination and ear training. I spose there's only one way to find out...

Yes please for the Lloyd Green recording, and once again, thanks for your input!

Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:40 am

OK I think you've got it!
I don't think of this change as part of a chord (although you can do) but more of a colour enhancer, single note melody or passing tone. When it comes to Lloyd Green's usage I'm not sure he thinks like the rest us! :lol:

Feel stop on 2 is obtained by adjustment of the amount of travel on the Knee lever against the 9th string D lower (can also be acheived by mechanical means but requires additional hardware). Micky Adams has a YouTube Video on this adjustment (he uses Half Stop screws but can be setup just as well with the 2nd string lower hex adjustment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BWRBvau4ms&t=15s About 15 mins in.
Hope this helps.

atb
Pete

Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:01 am

Hi Nico, if you can adjust the 2nd string to lower from D# to C# then you get a nice unison with string 5 with A pedal down (both sound C#). Releasing the knee and A pedal together, and ideally pausing both momentarily at the halfway point gets a nice effect, as in the intro to 'A Way to Survive'. Here's a link to a Youtube tutorial - you want the second intro option, from about 2:20:

I have to say I'm keen to follow this thread as I haven't yet got to the level of proficiency that necessitates use of my right knee very much!

Good luck,

Sid

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:49 pm

Hi Sid,
Nice to meet you! Thanks for your input. I'm actually struggling to adjust my steel. I did have a look today, and I would need to shorten the travel on the 8-string. If I adjust the lever stop, the 8 goes all the way down to D, so not the end of the world. The problem is the pulls have these spring-steel retainer clips that are doing a REALLY good job of retaining. I'd hate to break one, but I could probably use a circlip if I did.

Thanks also for the link. I really like that guy's videos. He's not constantly jumping around with 'or you could do it this way' even before you manage it the first way. There's a reassuring "You got that? Ok, from the top..."

I'm not quite there with the knee lever yet either. Doesn't help that it's stuck waaaaaaaay over on the right and I keep forgetting about it. Poor bloody thing must be ever so lonely! :lol:

Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm

Hi again Nico I was thinking over the last day or two that if you have a 3 + 1 setup, the knee should probably drop the E strings to Eb rather than drop the D# to C#. I used to have a Sho-Bud Maverick which I think was a couple of evolutions after your Fender but essentially the same pull-release setup. You'll probably get more use from an 'E' lever than a 'D' lever ...
FWIW, if you can drop the Es then you have the following chords at any given position (upper case = major; lower case = minor):
Chord I - no pedals
Chord ii - B and C pedals
Chord iii - E lever (E to Eb on both strings)
Chord IV - A and B pedals
Chord V - E lever and B pedal (actually makes a 7th chord if you play all the strings)
Chord vi - A pedal
Chord VII (or the associated diminished chord) - E lever and B pedal, as per V

Apologies if you know all that already, but I found it really helpful when starting to understand what the various bits did on my guitar :)

Just realised as I post this that I am assuming you have a 10 string E9 setup - if that's correct then the above may be helpful; if not then it is probably largely irrelevant!

Tue May 14, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi Sid, sorry it's taken me a whole month to reply. I have no idea where the time went. In any case, thanks for the advice, it's all good!

I do have a 10-string 3+1 that's setup for E9, but it's pull-release so without major surgery the high E will only ever go up to F#, and the Db down to D.
I could retune the 2nd string to E and drop to Eb. I could even teach myself to drop a semitone at a time all the way from E to D (nothing to lose in trying). I might indeed get more mileage from that setup as I don't often use the 7th. I'll try it out and let you know how I get on... :)

Also, while I'm here I think I forgot to thank Peter Lyndsley for the tab he sent me, so thanks again Pete if you're reading this!
Post a reply