Pedal steel software

Steel guitar tuition and instruction material

Pedal steel software

Postby psg_software » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:38 pm

I have been playing E9 for over 10 years, but have so far failed to dedicate my time to learning the neighbouring C neck.

As part of my final project in my computing degree I am designing a website that I hope will be a useful learning assistant* to myself and other players.

I have compiled a short survey to audit the current state of pedal steel software, and hopefully identify functionality that could really be of use. I already have an idea of what would be useful to me, but I would love to hear the thoughts of players with all levels of experience.

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/CAYT5G

*There is no substitute for time and effort when it comes to learning.
psg_software

Re: Pedal steel software

Postby JohnDavisStringsHere » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:56 am

I have been happy to share the little I know about the back neck but when it gets turned into computer software does it not start to put real steel players out of a job?
There are more pc nerds out there than steel players.....
JohnDavisStringsHere
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby psg_software » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:46 am

Hence my disclaimer at the end ;)

I am building the website primarily for myself. I have posted this message on the off-chance that there are others like me who also see value in a novel learning assistant.

Chord charts and self-help books already exist for other instruments. Basic chord charts and self-help books exist for the PSG. There are several PSG computer programs in existence. There is an obvious demand for these things.

We all know that the PSG - even with a "standard" copedant and tuning - is tricky enough for newcomers to get their head around. Here in the UK we are lucky enough to have some great players who also offer up their valuable time to help others. That is fantastic and long may it continue through the generations. It is - in my opinion - the best way to pass on knowledge.

No software will ever replace the human touch. And I say that as a "PC nerd".
psg_software

Postby rivets » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:35 pm

I too am building a PSG assistant website. We should maybe talk (though mine will most definitely be open source which might not be your thing)
rivets

Postby psg_software » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:54 am

I won't be able to collaborate until my project is submitted in May. And after that I will be have a code freeze until after my project is marked. After that I will definitely be going open source though.

I will post a URL when my app is ready for testing. I would love to get your feedback.

It will be interesting to see our different approaches.
psg_software

Postby psg_software » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:54 pm

UPDATE

I have completed the initial build of my project. The app contains the majority of the features that I was hoping to include by this point, but I may make some minor tweaks in the coming weeks.

I would welcome any feedback whatsoever. You do not need to register to use the app, although you will if you want to create your own copedants.

https://note-mapper.azurewebsites.net

I am mainly interested in feedback regarding ease of use and usefulness of the features. I will also be critically assessing my app while using it to (finally) start learning the C neck.

If you do register you will be able to submit feedback via a survey. If you choose not to register but would still like to submit your feedback you can contact me via the website.
psg_software

Postby Jif » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:37 am

Hi, looks interesting. I registered so I can set up my current copedent. I did start to create it but don't have the time to do it all at the moment and I'll need to print off my copedent as I forget some of the details. I tried to create an instrument with how far I had got with the view to coming back later to complete the task, however when I tried to save my instrument I got an error and what I had already set up was lost and the page went back to default, i.e. nothing set up.

Will try again later, looks like an interesting project though, could be very useful :guitar: :)
"Nothing can ever be wrong about music" - D Allman

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks
Jif
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Postby Jif » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm

Hi, got around to setting up my PS which is a 12 string set up to a custom Ext E9, saved the instrument OK and had a quick look at the chords, scales etc with this copedent.

Looks very useful on first sight, haven't had a chance to try it out on the PS yet but will get around to it.

Not sure what the 2nd display on the Note Mapper page means, as shown in the screenshot below. The one that shows the pedal/levers mapping. Could you explain how that is working, thanks.

Screenshot_20230313_121522_Chrome.jpg
"Nothing can ever be wrong about music" - D Allman

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks
Jif
Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member

Return to Steel Guitar Tuition